Saturday, September 18, 2010

Pride Cometh Before...


It was really more of a stumble than a fall...

I made it to the Memphis Greenline around 8:45 this morning. The air was beginning to warm in the sun, but the shady spots were still deliciously cool. With a near-balance of anxiety and excitement, I walked the half block from my car to the High Point Terrace Greenline entrance, reset my stopwatch, and started my slow, easy run.

My physical therapist OK'd this run, but instructed me to note any stiffness or soreness in either achilles tendon, especially the extra-vulnerable right one. My first glance at the stopwatch was about 30 seconds in. All felt fine. Along the way, heading east from High Point Terrace, I met numerous cyclists, several other joggers and walkers, some in pairs, some with pooches. It was a lovely morning to continue the Greenline's "soft" opening.

Three, four, five, eight minutes passed pain free. I paused a couple of times to snap a few photos (one of which is shown above)...just a nice, relaxed jog. At about the 12-minute mark, I came to the Waring intersection and decided to turn around (my therapist OK'd "one or two miles," so 24 minutes total would probably push me slightly over that limit, even at the easy pace).

My time totaled 15, then 18, then 20 minutes, and my tendons still felt fine (though my other joints began to feel the effects of a 2-month layoff from running!). At about the 21-minute mark, I began to approach High Point Terrace. After all my worry about "failing," I'd passed my first test in my recovery. I was pleased, maybe even a little cocky. I stepped off to the right to snap one more photo to preserve the moment, to bask in the glow of victory and the warmth of the morning sun.

Then I looked down at my camera phone, misstepped, and promptly sprained my ankle on the edge of the newly laid asphalt.

At least now I won't be tempted to run further than prescribed...

No comments: