Monday, December 27, 2010

Winter Rupture, er, Break



Well, at least I wasn't alone on the trail!

The dreaded achilles tendon rupture did indeed occur, during the Umsted Bowl, our annual family football game usually played on Thanksgiving but postponed from then till yesterday. Fortunately, I have awesome step-brothers and cousins...all were involved in literally carrying me to the car, and my step-brothers Scott (with his son Nicholas) and Jay (with his son, Jack) accompanied me to the ER and hung out with me until reinforcements (ie, my mom and later my brother) arrived. Thanks, guys!

Technically, I have not yet received the diagnosis of a ruptured tendon--I won't be able to see the orthopedist till Thursday morning--but I am unable to put any weight on my right foot, and to the touch it feels, well, like I'm a puzzle with a piece missing. The immediate pain is kept at bay by a boot and the occasional Ultracet.

Since running will be out of the question for the foreseeable future, and since I'll limit (and maybe outright stop) my beer intake in the absence of the ability to exercise much, I've decided to put this blog into hibernation until one or both of its foci are again part of my daily life.

Till then, God Bless, and thank you for reading!

8 comments:

The Labontes said...

oh dave! i'm so sorry. what a bummer. But, yes, thank God you weren't out in the woods all alone. Hope you get some relief soon.
Marjo

David T said...

Thanks, Marjo! It could be worse in that I'm not actually hurting right now. I'll know more about my prognosis in a couple of days

Joe said...

I don’t know which is worse not being able to run or a limited beer intake. My prayers are with you friend.

David T said...

Thanks, Joe. I definitely will not be running, though in hindsight I probably overstated things concerning the beer...I'll just eat a little less on beer days!

amber c. said...

Sorry to hear this D! I saw Cindy's FB post about surgery and checked in here. I hope all goes well tomorrow! We'll be sending healing thoughts your way! xo!

David T said...

Thanks, Amber!

margaret said...

Ouchies. That happened to a friend of mine a few weeks ago - he can't drive and is dependent on his teenage daughter to take him everywhere, very funny role-reversal. I hope you are a bit better off!

David T said...

Thank you, Margaret!

I hope your friend is on the mend as well. I, too, cannot drive. I have enjoyed rides from friends and family, though of course my wife is doing the heavy lifting there and otherwise (bless her!).