Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Writing Prompt #8

 

After years mostly dormant, I am attempting to work myself into being a writer again. To that end, I did a simple Google search for "writing prompts" and chose the first link listed, which included a total of 20 prompts. My goal is to write from a new prompt each day, giving myself 10 minutes before calling "hands up, utensils down" (so to speak), and then posting the unedited result in this blog. The post below is today's entry.

 

"Write about an imagined ideal day walking around a city of your choosing."

 

San Francisco remains my favorite city to see while running. I start today's run just outside our rental home on 25th Street just a block or so away from the BART station at Mission and 24th. I amble eastward past Van Ness and Folsom and turn left onto Balmy Alley to look at the street murals, stopping to take a few photos with my phone and mentally noting new additions to the impromptu gallery since my last visit a few years ago. At 24th, I turn back to the west and pass Wise Sons Jewish Deli, where I’d probably stop for breakfast were I not just getting started on my run.

 

From there, I head north up Shotwell St, passing several restaurants and colorful old homes. I turn right at 18th and continue eastward till I reach busy Harrison St, which I cross and then turn right onto to pick back up on 18th after it jogs. Just after reaching Utah St, I circle upward through Fallen Bridge Park and cross the freeway on the pedestrian bridge, which brings me back onto 18th and into the Potrero Hill neighborhood. I descend 18th steeply to De Haro St and turn left so that I can pass the old Anchor Brewing building on my right. I stop at the brewery building, reminiscing about the tour that Cindy and I took there in 2013 and wistfully wondering if I’ve had my last Anchor beer.

 

Crossing myself as I face St Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church across the street, I reverse my course (now uphill until I cross the freeway) but this time continue past Shotwell until I reach Dolores Park. I slow to a jog as I move counterclockwise around the park’s perimeter, again stopping to take a photo or two (definitely one from the southwest corner, looking northeastward toward downtown). On another day I might tackle more hill work in Noe Valley, but today I continue southward on Dolores until I reach 25th, then head back east toward our apartment for a shower and coffee (though probably not in that order) and to see if Cindy is awake. 

No comments: