Monday, November 29, 2010

In Memoriam: Marcus Takach



While running the Tulsa (Williams Route 66) Marathon last Sunday, I passed a young man lying supine just to the right of the road, receiving chest compressions from the EMT who had just arrived. After I finished the race, I learned that the young man, 27-year-old Marcus Takach, had died shortly after collapsing. Several of us who passed Marcus mentioned to each other that we were praying for him; I trust that those prayers can be credited by our merciful God to the rest of Marcus's soul. May the Lord have mercy upon him and us.

The Tulsa Running Club is organizing a silent run in honor of Marcus Takach starting at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 12 at 15th and Riverside--the place of his repose. All of those participating will run the final 3.1 miles of the Williams Route 66 Half Marathon (which ran concurrent with the marathon), finishing the race in honor of Marcus. Although I will be in Memphis rather than in Tulsa, I plan to run 3.1 miles that day at 2:00 sharp, rain or shine (or snow). I'll most likely be driving in from Liturgy at the skete in Grand Junction, Tenn., early that afternoon, but my hope is to make it to the North Trail by then--my favorite lonely place to run.

Marcus and I both woke up early on race day, planned our races, made the trek downtown. We even both took photos of our bib and number; only one of us lived to tell of the day's events. I really would like to write about my own experience in Tulsa sometime, but right now just doesn't seem to be that time. 

Here's a link to the article in the Tulsa newspaper reporting on Marcus's death. I think I can safely say that he was healthier than I was entering the race.

May his memory be eternal. 







4 comments:

pucknation said...

This is a tough one, my friend. I can't think of a better way to memorialize a fallen runner than to solemnly log mileage on a favorite stretch of trail. Good for you.

There's a time and place for every emotion and action under the heavens. Please run for Marcus, knowing that he is enveloped in grace and peace.

David T said...

Thanks, Puck.

Laurie Tomlinson said...

Though Marcus had already been taken to the hospital when I passed Mile 10, I was really shaken up when I found out. Even though I didn't know him, like you said, we all trained, laced up our shoes, and shared the same goals and the same stretch of pavement. I will definitely be running it in his honor next Sunday.

David T said...

Thanks for the comment, LB. From what I gather in reading comments on the marathon's Facebook page, a good many people will be running with Marcus in spirit that day, both in and beyond Tulsa--fantastic idea by the Tulsa running club.