Saturday, July 03, 2010

On the Banks of Embarcadero Skies


San Francisco is a vibrant, beautiful, walkable, and utterly charming city. I loved that I could run either up and down hills of the sort that I can only imagine here in Memphis or for miles on end along the Embarcadero (I logged a healthy 12 miles Monday morning, seeing both AT&T Park and the Marina as well as all of the expanse between them). I was thrilled at how easily I could navigate the city by bus, even making it completely across town Sunday morning for Liturgy at the Holy Virgin "Joy of All Who Sorrow" Cathedral and the chance to venerate St. John of Shanghai and San Francisco--and be able to meet back up with the rest of our group before lunchtime.


Oh, and I loved the beer.



My sister-in-law Mandy completely came through for me, securing not one but two bottles of Wilco Tango Foxtrot from Lagunitas Brewing. I bookended our trip with one each on our first and last nights in town.

I'd waited two months from when I first read about this brew till the moment I tasted it. Was it worth the wait?

Entirely. Imagine the hop flavor of a top-notch pale ale balanced against the maltiness of a darker ale--rich, crisp, and hearty.

And WTF was only the beginning of a great few days of beer tasting. Although we were ultimately unable to visit any of the many breweries in the SF area, I was able to try several beers indigenous to Califormia:


Pliny the Elder (Russian River Brewing Co) at the Rehearsal Dinner at Park Chow


Stone IPA at the Wedding Night feast at Foreign Cinema


As well as a delicious house Amber Ale at Betelnut with my aunt Suzanne, cousin Chris, his wife, Julie, and their children (and my second cousins) Ellie and Erik. 

Many Years, Mandy and Brad!

No comments: