Saturday, July 03, 2010

Where Everybody Knows Your Name, Even if it Isn't Yours


Probably owing to its utter lack of pretentiousness, and despite my smelling like a cigarette butt by the end of every visit there, I really enjoy the P&H Cafe. Maybe I just have good associations with the place, the home of our almost-weekly trivia outings. Maybe I like the fact that Jo, the main waitress and bartender, always remembers our names and what we usually have to drink; well, she remembers my wife's name incorrectly--"How's April?" she asks every week Cindy does not accompany me--but at least she's remembered it incorrectly the same way for more than 5 years now.

And last week, I really liked the fact that they hosted a beer tasting by Schlafly, makers of the best St. Louis-brewed beer I've had.

I didn't even know about the event before I walked in that night and nearly bumped into the tasting table. Not only were the Schlafly folks there, but also Amy, the wife of one of one of my brother's best friends and an employee of A.S. Barbaro Distributors. In the company of a friend and surrounded by good beer, I nearly forgot to meet up with my good friend Chase, who nearly gave up on me before I finally left the tasting area and entered the main dining room. Fortunately, I caught him before he left, and we experienced the beer tasting event together.

Beers tasted:
  • Pale Ale
  • Dry Hopped IPA
  • Hefeweizen
  • Oatmeal Stout
  • Raspberry Hefeweizen
(Chase also tried the Kolsch, though I refrained since I'd enjoyed one only a few days beforehand)

All of the above were at least good (even the raspberry hefe, and I'm not generally a fan of fruity beers), and the Dry Hopped IPA and Oatmeal Stout were excellent (as was the Kolsch I had earlier). As a bonus, once the tasting proper ended, all leftover bottles were made available to P&H patrons for $1 each--another epic win even though our trivia team placed in the middle of the pack.

"April" and I are definitely planning to stop by either the Schlafly Bottleworks or Tap Room during our upcoming trip to St. Louis.

No comments: