Monday, May 31, 2010

The Bryan Hayes Memorial Day Run; or, Things That Go Bump in the Day

Having today off, I decided to do some trail running. It's Memorial Day, and I thought I'd honor my good friend Bryan Hayes--who is completing his tour in Iraq--by running at Herb Parsons State Park, a place we've talked about running many times but have not yet visited together.

It would have been to my advantage to have had Bryan with me. In addition to being great company, Bryan knows the 7-mile loop around the lake; I, on the other hand, did not know the trail (today was my first time there) and thus got lost or turned around several times. I also tried to be a hero and circumnavigate the lake twice instead of just once, and the heat and time on my feet conspired to leave me exhausted by the end. But I loved the trail itself (much wider than the Wolf River trails, and, unlike the Tour de Wolf, most of the trail is in the shade).

I look forward to running it with my good friend when he returns later this summer. Happy Memorial Day, Bryan!

Running log:

My Herb Parsons experience by the numbers:

Miles ran: about 14
Miles walked: about 0.5 (at around mile 13)
Number of wrong turns: at least 5
Number of times I fell down: 2
Number of times I fell down because I bumped my head on the branch of a fallen tree: 1
Number of seconds spent lying on the ground after bumping my head: probably 15 or so
Number of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches eaten during and after the run: 1
Number of clothing changes during and after the run: 2 (I felt like Madonna!)
Number of items purchased at the park store to meet the $5 debit card minimum which I decided to pay because I was hecka thirsty but the Gatorade cost only $1.59: 5

Sunday: 3 miles at Shady Grove

Beer log:


Sunday: Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy (thanks, Charlie!)

No comments: