Saturday, May 29, 2010

Don't Try This at Home...Maybe Not Even at the Zoo

I spent both Thursday and Friday evenings at the Memphis Zoo; I spent today resting a spell.

Beer log:

Friday:
Zoo Brew, with 3- to 5-oz servings of the following (* = first time I'd tried this beer):

Saranac Summer Ale*
Victory Hop Devil
Beamish Irish Stout*
Singha* (lager from Thailand)
Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Sierra Nevada Porter
Flying Dog Garde Dog Biere de Garde*
Bosco's Bombay IPA
Abita Jockamo IPA*
Rogue American Amber*
Unibroue Maudite*
Unibroue Don de Dieu*
Dogfish Head Raison d'Etre*
Yazoo Hop Project*
Acme Pale Ale* (North Coast)
Eye of the Hawk ale* (Mendocino)
Kasteel Rouge*
Ghost River Glacial Pale Ale
Hook & Ladder Backdraft Brown*
Hook & Ladder Lighter*
Beer 30* (Wisconsin)
Homebrew: Moose Drool Clone*
Homebrew: Scottish 80 Schilling Ale*
Homebrew: Rye Ale*

A couple of notes:

1. A few beers were nice surprises--the Saranac Summer Ale (lager with lemonade) was really flavorful; I may buy a six-pack of that this summer. I also liked the Yazoo Hop Project (#28...each batch of Hop Project is brewed with a different mix of hops, so each batch is different from every other one)--along with the Ghost River Glacial Pale Ale (even in such lofty company, it still stood out), this was probably my favorite of the hoppy beers. And all three Homebrews were really, really good. However,

2. Even with small serving sizes, trying 24 beers in one night was maybe NOT the best idea. I tried to pace myself (I really did!), and I kept bottled water with me the entire time. But I overdid things; an especially poor decision was trying all of the Homebrews back-to-back-to-back right before we left--each was really strong, and I spent the next 2 hours regretting that final sprint to the finish.

Still, I had a great time with my brother, my sister-in-law, and our friend Joey; I just might use a little more discretion (read: self-control) next time.

Today: Not even considering having a beer.

Running log:


Thursday: Zoom Through the Zoo 4-mile race--I finished in 27:28, more than a minute faster than my time last year. After getting caught up in the middle of the pack for the first half mile last year, I decided to start closer to the cheetahs and gazelles...even though I was winded by the end (OK, well before the end), that speedy first mile helped me to the improved time.
Friday: 7.25 miles on the muddy Yellow and Blue trails.
Today: Not even considering running.

No comments: